TikTok settings guide
HOW TO MAKE TIKTOK SAFER FOR YOUR TEEN
ONLINE PARENTING IS VITAL!
Stats drawn from surveys by Be in Touch of more than 1500 grade 4 to grade 11 learners during 2021
Had phones by age 10 54%
Had social media by age 12 68%
Have phones in rooms at night 66%
Have no parental controls 63%
Cyber bullying via social media 61%
Cyber bullying late at night 83%
RISKS OF SOCIAL MEDIA
- pornography & violence
- cyberbullying & trolling
- grooming & predators
- anxiety, depression & suicide
- social pressure, insecurity & FOMO
- body image & eating disorders
YOUR T(W)EEN WANTS TIKTOK?
- TikTok requires users to be 13
- Know that it is “real age” rated 16+
- Teens need wisdom and maturity to be able to use TikTok positively!
YOUR TEEN HAS TIKTOK?
- Know your teens’s TikTok profile(s) and get involved!
- Talk to them about –
- thinking before they upload or comment
- deleting and blocking nasty comments
- always protecting personal information
- question what they see and hear
- how TikTok makes them feel!
- Help them make it safer by changing the in-app settings…
1. SET UP FAMILY PAIRING
2. MANAGE SCREEN TIME
3. USE RESTRICTED MODE
4. KEEP ACCOUNT PRIVATE
5. CONTROL MESSAGES
6. CONTROL STITCHES & DUETS
7. CONTROL & FILTER COMMENTS
9. CHANGE AD SETTINGS
- Agree family tech rules
- Chat to your teen about their online life
- Install a Parental Control
- Keep devices OUT of bedrooms at night
- Keep checking in and checking up
- Talk, talk, talk to your teen!